When a person dies without leaving a will, they are said to die intestate.  Letters of Administration must be obtained from the Supreme Court of Victoria if the estate includes real property or is over a certain value.  The order gives the legal right for someone to administer the estate.  An application for Letters of Administration is typically made by:

  • husband or wife
  • one or more of the children
  • a trustee if there is no other appropriate next of kin will to apply
  • any other person the court considers fit

A person appointed under Letters of Administration is the Administrator of the estate.

Our expert Wills & Estates lawyers can prepare the application to the Supreme Court and assist Administrators in the distribution of the estate.  Wherever possible, it is best to apply within six months of the passing of the deceased.  Applying after that time requires additional work and expense.

Talk to one of our lawyers about letters of administration with a free 15-minute phone call.

Your Estates Team

Jim Parke
Brendan Reilly
Mark Gomez
Dennis Wawra
Need Help? Contact Us.

Make an enquiry or request a call back

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
We also welcome your enquiries by phone, direct email or visiting one of our offices.
Phone 134 134
Email: law@pl.com.au
Locate Us